At Nursery we try to ignore any bad behaviour and praise positive behaviour.
Below are some ways in which staff deal with inappropriate behaviour in nursery, try them at home:
- Ignore little things that don’t really matter and give lots of praise for good things.
- Praise specific things e.g. “Thank you for picking all those bricks up” rather than “Thank you for tidying up”.
- Use time out – stairs, egg timer etc, giving reasons why they are there and what they can do next time.
- Focus on positive things.
- Use family reward charts where everyone is involved. Offer small treats as rewards e.g. trip to the park.